X11 library -xrm option buffer overflow
|x11-xrm-bo (8828)||High Risk|
Some Caldera Unix distributions are vulnerable to a buffer overflow in any program that uses the X11 library and accepts the -xrm option to execute arbitrary code. By supplying a long string as an argument with an -xrm option, a local attacker can overflow a buffer and execute arbitrary code on the system.
For Caldera OpenUNIX 8.0.0 and UnixWare 7.1.1:
Upgrade to the latest basex package (basex.711b.pkg or later), as listed in Caldera International, Inc. Security Advisory CSSA-2002-SCO.15. See References.
- BugTraq Mailing List, Tue Jan 08 2002 - 00:08:40 CST: xterm exploit in Unixware 7.0.1.
- BugTraq Mailing List, Tue Jan 08 2002 - 00:12:56 CST: dtterm exploit in Unixware 7.1.1.
- Caldera International, Inc. Security Advisory CSSA-2002-SCO.15: Open UNIX 8.0.0 UnixWare 7.1.1 : Buffer overflow in libX11 with -xrm.
- BID-4502: Caldera X11 Library -xrm Buffer Overflow Vulnerability
- CVE-2002-0517: Buffer overflow in X11 library (libX11) on Caldera Open UNIX 8.0.0, UnixWare 7.1.1, and possibly other operating systems, allows local users to gain root privileges via a long -xrm argument to programs such as (1) dtterm or (2) xterm.
- US-CERT VU#169059: X11 vulnerable to buffer overflow in handling of -xrm option
- SCO Caldera OpenUnix 8.0.0
- SCO Caldera UnixWare 7.1.1
Apr 11, 2002
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall the author/distributor (IBM Internet Security Systems X-Force) be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.
For corrections or additions please email ignore thisxforceignore this@ignore thisus.ignore thisibm.comignore this