INN rnews and inews format string
|inn-rnews-inews-format-string (8834)||High Risk|
INN (InterNet News daemon) has multiple format string vulnerabilities in the rnews and inews binaries. A local attacker could exploit these vulnerabilities to gain root privileges on the system.
For Caldera Linux Server and Workstation 3.1 and 3.1.1:
Upgrade to the latest version of inn (2.2.3-13 or later), as listed in SCO Security Advisory CSSA-2002-038.0. See References.
For other distributions:
Contact your vendor for upgrade or patch information.
- BugTraq Mailing List, Thu Apr 11 2002 - 13:22:01 CDT: Inn (Inter Net News) security problems.
- Internet Software Consortium (ISC) Web site: INN: InterNetNews.
- SCO Security Advisory CSSA-2002-038.0: Linux: inn format string and insecure open vulnerabilities.
- BID-4501: ISC INN Multiple Local Format String Vulnerabilties
- BID-6049: ISC INN Multiple Insecure Open Call Vulnerabilities
- CVE-2002-0525: Format string vulnerabilities in (1) inews or (2) rnews for INN 2.2.3 and earlier allow local users and remote malicious NNTP servers to gain privileges via format string specifiers in NTTP responses.
- OSVDB ID: 6873: INN inews NTTP Response Format String
- OSVDB ID: 6874: INN rnews NTTP Response Format String
- ISC INN 2.0
- ISC INN 2.1
- ISC INN 2.2
- ISC INN 2.2.1
- ISC INN 2.2.2
- ISC INN 2.2.3
- SCO Caldera OpenLinux Server 3.1
- SCO Caldera OpenLinux Server 3.1.1
Apr 11, 2002
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall the author/distributor (IBM Internet Security Systems X-Force) be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.
For corrections or additions please email ignore thisxforceignore this@ignore thisus.ignore thisibm.comignore this