Melange Chat System long lines in melange.conf buffer overflow
|melange-chat-config-bo (8845)||High Risk|
Melange Chat System is vulnerable to a buffer overflow. By including overly long lines in the m?lange.conf file, a local attacker can overflow a buffer and cause a core dump on the system.
Denial of Service
Apply the patch for this vulnerability included in the BugTraq Mailing List posting dated Apr 14 2002 3:47PM. See References.
- BugTraq Mailing List, Sun Apr 14 2002 - 10:47:16 CDT: Vulnerabilities in the Melange Chat Server.
- MELANGE CHAT SYSTEM Home page: melange chat server for linux.
- BID-4508: Melange Chat System /yell Remote Buffer Overflow Vulnerability
- BID-4509: Melange Chat Systems melange.conf Buffer Overflow Vulnerability
- BID-4510: Melange Chat System Long Filename Buffer Overflow Vulnerability
- CVE-2002-0552: Multiple buffer overflows in Melange Chat server 2.02 allow remote or local attackers to cause a denial of service (crash) and possibly execute arbitrary code via (1) a long argument in the /yell command, (2) long lines in the /etc/melange.conf configuration file, (3) long file names, or possibly other attacks.
- Christian Walter Melange Chat System 2.02-beta
Apr 14, 2002
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall the author/distributor (IBM Internet Security Systems X-Force) be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.
For corrections or additions please email ignore thisxforceignore this@ignore thisus.ignore thisibm.comignore this