Nortel CVX-1800 default public SNMP community string
|nortel-default-snmp-string (8848)||High Risk|
Nortel CVX-1800 is shipped with the Simple Network Management Protocol (SNMP) community string set to "public". This could allow a remote attacker to gain access to valid usernames and passwords for the local Telnet account on the CVX-1800.
Refer to CERT Vulnerability Note VU#403315 for vendor-specific upgrade or patch information. See References.
As a workaround, change the SNMP community string.
- BugTraq Mailing List, Fri Apr 19 2002 - 14:17:47 CDT: Nortel CVX 1800s will dump all local user names and passwords via SNMP.
- BID-4507: Nortel CVX 1800 Multi-Service Access Switch Default SNMP Community Vulnerability
- CVE-2002-0540: Nortel CVX 1800 is installed with a default public community string, which allows remote attackers to read usernames and passwords and modify the CVX configuration.
- US-CERT VU#403315: Nortel Networks CVX 1800 discloses privileged information
- Nortel CVX 1800 Multi-Service Access Switch 3.6.3 p24
- Nortel CVX 1800 Multi-Service Access Switch 3.6.3 p25
- Nortel CVX 1800 Multi-Service Access Switch 3.6.3 p5
Apr 13, 2002
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall the author/distributor (IBM Internet Security Systems X-Force) be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.
For corrections or additions please email ignore thisxforceignore this@ignore thisus.ignore thisibm.comignore this