WebTrends Reporting Center long string buffer overflow
|webtrends-long-string-bo (8864)||High Risk|
WebTrends Reporting Center is vulnerable to a buffer overflow in the system service "WTRS_UI.EXE". By sending a specially-crafted GET request containing a long string argument, a remote attacker can overflow a buffer and overwrite stack variables to execute arbitrary code on the system with SYSTEM level privileges.
Upgrade to WebTrends Reporting Center version 4.0e or later versions. The latest WRC version can be downloaded from the WebTrends Reporting Center Web site. See References.
As a workaround, disable anonymous access which is enabled by default.
- NGSSoftware Insight Security Research Advisory #NISR17042002C: Webtrends Reporting Center Buffer Overflow.
- WebTrends Web Site: WebTrends Reporting Center.
- BID-4531: WebTrends Reporting Center GET Request Buffer Overflow Vulnerability
- CVE-2002-0595: Buffer overflow in WTRS_UI.EXE (WTX_REMOTE.DLL) for WebTrends Reporting Center 4.0d allows remote attackers to execute arbitrary code via a long HTTP GET request to the /reports/ directory.
- OSVDB ID: 10448: WebTrends Reporting Center WTX_REMOTE.DLL /reports/ Remote Overflow
- WebTrends WebTrends Reporting Center 4.0d
Apr 17, 2002
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall the author/distributor (IBM Internet Security Systems X-Force) be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.
For corrections or additions please email ignore thisxforceignore this@ignore thisus.ignore thisibm.comignore this