FScan banner grabbing format string
|fscan-banner-format-string (8895)||High Risk|
FScan is vulnerable to a format string attack. If the "banner grabbing" feature is enabled, a remote attacker could use format specifiers in the banner service to execute arbitrary commands on the host running FScan upon the attacker's system being scanned.
Upgrade to the latest version of FScan (1.14 or later), available from the Foundstone Web site. See References.
- BugTraq Mailing List, Fri Apr 19 2002 - 04:19:20 CDT: KPMG-2002014: Foundstone Fscan Format String Bug.
- BugTraq Mailing List, Wed May 01 2002 - 11:46:39 CDT: FW: Fscan advisory (fwd).
- Foundstone Web site: ScanLine (TM) 1.01 - Command line port scanner..
- BID-4549: Foundstone FScan Banner Grabbing Format String Vulnerability
- BID-455: AIX lquerypv Vulnerability
- CVE-2002-0598: Format string vulnerability in Foundstone FScan 1.12 with banner grabbing enabled allows remote attackers to execute arbitrary code on the scanning system via format string specifiers in the server banner.
- OSVDB ID: 5180: Foundstone FScan Server Banner Format String
- Foundstone Labs FScan 1.12
Apr 19, 2002
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall the author/distributor (IBM Internet Security Systems X-Force) be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.
For corrections or additions please email ignore thisxforceignore this@ignore thisus.ignore thisibm.comignore this