HP-UX passwd(1) password file corruption
|hp-passwd-dos (8939)||Low Risk|
HP 9000 series servers running HP-UX could allow a local attacker to corrupt the password file. A local attacker could use the passwd(1) command to corrupt the password file and possibly cause a denial of service.
Denial of Service
Apply the appropriate patch for your system, as listed in Hewlett-Packard Company Security Bulletin HPSBUX0204-191. See References.
- Hewlett-Packard Company Security Bulletin HPSBUX0204-191: Sec. Vulnerability in passwd(1). (From Neohapsis archive)
- BID-4582: HP-UX Password File Corruption Vulnerability
- CVE-2002-0577: Vulnerability in passwd for HP-UX 11.00 and 11.11 allows local users to corrupt the password file and cause a denial of service.
- OSVDB ID: 9628: HP-UX passwd Password File Corruption Local DoS
- US-CERT VU#977779: HP-UX passwd utility may corrupt password file
- HP HP-UX 11.00
- HP HP-UX 11.04
- HP HP-UX 11.11
Apr 23, 2002
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall the author/distributor (IBM Internet Security Systems X-Force) be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.
For corrections or additions please email ignore thisxforceignore this@ignore thisus.ignore thisibm.comignore this