Qpopper long bulldir buffer overflow
|qpopper-bulldir-bo (8949)||High Risk|
Qualcomm Qpopper is vulnerable to a buffer overflow. By setting the bulldir parameter in their configuration file to an overly long string, a local attacker can overflow the bullName (bulletin name) buffer and execute arbitrary code on the system or cause the mail server to crash.
For Caldera OpenServer 5.0.5 and 5.0.6:
Upgrade to the appropriate fixed binaries for your system, as listed in Caldera International, Inc. Security Advisory CSSA-2002-SCO.20. See References.
For other distributions:
Contact your vendor for upgrade or patch information.
- BugTraq Mailing List, Sun Apr 28 2002 - 14:21:14 CDT: QPopper 4.0.4 buffer overflow.
- Caldera International, Inc. Security Advisory CSSA-2002-SCO.20: OpenServer 5.0.5 OpenServer 5.0.6 : popper buffer overflow and denial-of-service.
- Marcell Fodor's Web site: security bug report 28.04.2002.
- Qualcomm Web site: Qpopper Home Page.
- BID-4614: Qualcomm QPopper Bulletin Name Buffer Overflow Vulnerability
- CVE-2002-0889: Buffer overflow in Qpopper (popper) 4.0.4 and earlier allows local users to cause a denial of service and possibly execute arbitrary code via a long bulldir argument in the user's .qpopper-options configuration file.
- OSVDB ID: 5058: Qpopper .qpopper-options bulldir Variable Local Overflow
- Qualcomm Qpopper 4.0.3
- Qualcomm Qpopper 4.0.4
- SCO Caldera OpenServer 5.0.5
- SCO Caldera OpenServer 5.0.6
Apr 28, 2002
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall the author/distributor (IBM Internet Security Systems X-Force) be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.
For corrections or additions please email ignore thisxforceignore this@ignore thisus.ignore thisibm.comignore this