Asterisk SMS message denial of service
|asterisk-sms-message-dos (89825)||Medium Risk|
Asterisk is vulnerable to a denial of service, caused by improper bounds checking by the unpacksms16() function. By sending a 16-bit SMS message, a remote attacker could overflow a buffer and cause the system to crash.
Denial of Service
Refer to AST-2013-006 for patch, upgrade or suggested workaround information. See References.
- AST-2013-006: Buffer Overflow when receiving odd length 16 bit SMS message.
- BID-64364: Multiple Asterisk Products 'unpacksms16()' Function Buffer Overflow Denial of Service Vulnerability
- CVE-2013-7100: Buffer overflow in the unpacksms16 function in apps/app_sms.c in Asterisk Open Source 1.8.x before 188.8.131.52, 10.x before 10.12.4, and 11.x before 11.6.1; Asterisk with Digiumphones 10.x-digiumphones before 10.12.4-digiumphones; and Certified Asterisk 1.8.x before 1.8.15-cert4 and 11.x before 11.2-cert3 allows remote attackers to cause a denial of service (daemon crash) via a 16-bit SMS message with an odd number of bytes, which triggers an infinite loop.
- OSVDB ID: 101100: Asterisk Crafted 16 bit SMS Message Handling Remote Overflow DoS
- SA55907: Asterisk Security Bypass and Memory Corruption Vulnerabilities
- Digium Asterisk 1.8
- Digium Asterisk 10
- Digium Asterisk 11
Dec 16, 2013
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall the author/distributor (IBM Internet Security Systems X-Force) be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.
For corrections or additions please email ignore thisxforceignore this@ignore thisus.ignore thisibm.comignore this
* According to the Forum of Incident Response and Security Teams (FIRST), the Common Vulnerability Scoring System (CVSS) is an "industry open standard designed to convey vulnerability severity and help to determine urgency and priority of response." IBM PROVIDES THE CVSS SCORES "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, INCLUDING THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. CUSTOMERS ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR ASSESSING THE IMPACT OF ANY ACTUAL OR POTENTIAL SECURITY VULNERABILITY.
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall IBM be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.