Novell NetWare NWFTPD.NLM denial of service
|netware-ftp-dos (9034)||Medium Risk|
Servers running Novell NetWare vulnerable to a denial of service attack, caused by a vulnerability in the FTP server (NWFTPD.NLM). If a remote attacker connects to the FTP server using a program, such as netcat or Telnet, the attacker could cause the server's CPU usage to increase to 100%, which would cause a denial of service against legitimate users.
Denial of Service
Upgrade to the latest version of NWFTPD.NLM (5.02r or later), as listed in Novell Technical Information Document 2962252. See References.
- BugTraq Mailing List, Wed May 08 2002 - 13:54:43 CDT: Re: cqure.net.20020408.netware_nwftpd.a.
- cqure.net Security Vulnerability Report - cqure.net.20020408.netware_nwftpd.a: Novell NWFTPD DOS.
- Novell Technical Information Document 2962252: NWFTPD.NLM High Utilization fix.
- BID-4693: Novell NetWare NWFTPD Denial Of Service Vulnerability
- CVE-2002-0791: Novell Netware FTP server NWFTPD before 5.02r allows remote attackers to cause a denial of service (CPU consumption) via a connection to the server followed by a carriage return, and possibly other invalid commands with improper syntax or length.
- OSVDB ID: 10934: Novell NetWare FTP Server NWFTPD Malformed Input DoS
- Novell NetWare 6.0 SP1
May 08, 2002
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall the author/distributor (IBM Internet Security Systems X-Force) be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.
For corrections or additions please email ignore thisxforceignore this@ignore thisus.ignore thisibm.comignore this