Webmin and Usermin authentication page error cross-site scripting
|webmin-usermin-authpage-xss (9036)||Medium Risk|
Webmin is vulnerable to cross-site scripting. A remote attacker could create a specially-crafted URL link to the user authentication page containing malicious script, which would cause an error message to be displayed and the script to be executed in the victim's Web browser within the security context of the host, once the link is clicked. An attacker could use this vulnerability to steal the victim's session ID cookies and gain unauthorized access to the victim's account.
Upgrade to the latest version of Webmin (0.970 or later) or Usermin (0.910 or later), available from the Webmin Web site. See References.
For Caldera OpenLinux 3.1 and 3.1.1 (Workstation and Server):
Upgrade to the latest webmin package (0.89-11 or later), as listed in SCO Security Advisory CSSA-2003-002.0. See References.
For other distributions:
Contact your vendor for upgrade or patch information.
- SCO Security Advisory CSSA-2003-002.0: Webmin Cross-site Scripting and Session ID Spoofing Vulnerabilities.
- SNS Advisory No.52: Webmin/Usermin Cross-site Scripting Vulnerability.
- Webmin Web site: Webmin.
- BID-4694: Webmin / Usermin Login Cross Site Scripting Vulnerability
- CVE-2002-0756: Cross-site scripting vulnerability in the authentication page for (1) Webmin 0.96 and (2) Usermin 0.90 allows remote attackers to insert script into an error page and possibly steal cookies.
- OSVDB ID: 9241: Webmin/Usermin Authentication Error Page XSS
- Gentoo Webmin 0.960
- Usermin Project Usermin 0.90 and prior
May 07, 2002
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall the author/distributor (IBM Internet Security Systems X-Force) be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.
For corrections or additions please email ignore thisxforceignore this@ignore thisus.ignore thisibm.comignore this