mnoGoSearch search.cgi heap buffer overflow
|mnogosearch-search-cgi-bo (9060)||High Risk|
mnoGoSearch is vulnerable to a buffer overflow, caused by improper bounds checking of parameters passed to the search.cgi script. By passing an overly long q= parameter to search.cgi, a remote attacker could overflow a buffer and execute arbitrary code on the server with privileges of the Web server process.
For Conectiva Linux 9:
Upgrade to the latest version of mnogosearch (3.1.21-12434U90_2cl or later), as listed in Conectiva Linux Security Announcement CLSA-2003:711. See References.
As a workaround, disable search.cgi or apply the patch included in the BugTraq Mailing List posting dated May 11 2002 5:08PM. See References.
- BugTraq Mailing List, Sat May 11 2002 - 12:08:15 CDT: Bug in mnogosearch-3.1.19.
- Conectiva Linux Security Announcement CLSA-2003:711: mnogosearch.
- mnoGoSearch Web site: mnoGoSearch: free internet web site search engine software for your site.
- BID-4724: mnoGoSearch 3.1.19 Search Query Buffer Overflow Vulnerability
- CVE-2002-0789: Buffer overflow in search.cgi in mnoGoSearch 3.1.19 and earlier allows remote attackers to execute arbitrary code via a long query (q) parameter.
- OSVDB ID: 5084: mnoGoSearch search.cgi Long Parameter Overflow
- Conectiva Linux 9.0
- Lavtech mnoGoSearch 3.1.19 and prior
May 11, 2002
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall the author/distributor (IBM Internet Security Systems X-Force) be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.
For corrections or additions please email ignore thisxforceignore this@ignore thisus.ignore thisibm.comignore this