Sun Solaris in.rarpd multiple buffer overflows and format strings could allow an attacker to execute arbitrary code
|solaris-inrarpd-code-execution (9150)||High Risk|
The in.rarpd daemon in Sun Solaris is vulnerable to multiple buffer overflows and format string conditions, caused by improper validation of user-supplied data that is passed to syslog. These vulnerabilities could allow a local or remote attacker to execute arbitrary code on the system with elevated privileges.
No remedy available as of April 1, 2014.
- BugTraq Mailing List, Tue May 21 2002 - 21:06:43 CDT: [DER Adv #7] - Multiple Vulnerabilities in solaris in.rarpd.
- Caldera International, Inc. Security Advisory CSSA-2002-SCO.29: UnixWare 7.1.1 Open UNIX 8.0.0 : in.rarpd format string vulnerability in error() and syserr().
- BID-4791: Multiple Vendor In.Rarpd Multiple Vulnerabilities
- CVE-2002-0884: Multiple format string vulnerabilities in in.rarpd (ARP server) on Solaris, Caldera UnixWare and Open UNIX, and possibly other operating systems, allows remote attackers to execute arbitrary code via format strings that are not properly handled in the functions (1) syserr and (2) error.
- CVE-2002-0885: Multiple buffer overflows in in.rarpd (ARP server) on Solaris, and possibly other operating systems including Caldera UnixWare and Open UNIX, allow remote attackers to execute arbitrary code, possibly via the functions (1) syserr and (2) error.
- OSVDB ID: 8707: Multiple Vendor in.rarpd Format String Arbitrary Code Execution
- OSVDB ID: 8708: Multiple Vendor in.rarpd Buffer Overflow Arbitrary Code Execution
- Sun Solaris 7.0
- Sun Solaris 8
May 22, 2002
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall the author/distributor (IBM Internet Security Systems X-Force) be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.
For corrections or additions please email ignore thisxforceignore this@ignore thisus.ignore thisibm.comignore this