Debian GNU/Linux netstd multiple utilities buffer overflow
|netstd-utilities-bo (9164)||High Risk|
The netstd package is vulnerable to a buffer overflow, caused by improper handling of resolved hostnames. A remote attacker in control of a DNS (Domain Name System) server could overflow a buffer in one of the affected utilities to possibly execute arbitrary code on the system.
The netstd 3.07-17 package is a legacy package and should be removed from your system as recommended by Debian. See References.
- BugTraq Mailing List, Fri May 24 2002 - 03:39:23 CDT: Netstd 3.07-17 multiple remote buffer overflows.
- BugTraq Mailing List, Sat May 25 2002 - 04:01:47 CDT: Re: Netstd 3.07-17 multiple remote buffer overflows.
- Debian GNU/Linux Web site: Package: netstd 3.07-17.
- BID-4816: Debian GNU/Linux netstd Multiple Buffer Overflow Vulnerabilities
- CVE-2002-0910: Buffer overflows in netstd 3.07-17 package allows remote DNS servers to execute arbitrary code via a long FQDN reply, as observed in the utilities (1) linux-ftpd, (2) pcnfsd, (3) tftp, (4) traceroute, or (5) from/to.
- OSVDB ID: 14450: netstd linux-ftpd Long FQDN Reply Overflow
- OSVDB ID: 14451: netstd pcnfsd Long FQDN Reply Overflow
- OSVDB ID: 14452: netstd tftp Long FQDN Reply Overflow
- OSVDB ID: 14453: netstd traceroute Long FQDN Reply Overflow
- OSVDB ID: 14454: netstd from/to Long FQDN Reply Overflow
- Debian Debian Linux
- Debian netstd 3.07
May 24, 2002
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall the author/distributor (IBM Internet Security Systems X-Force) be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.
For corrections or additions please email ignore thisxforceignore this@ignore thisus.ignore thisibm.comignore this