AMANDA multiple "operator" group local buffer overflows
|amanda-operator-bo (9182)||High Risk|
AMANDA (Advanced Maryland Automatic Network Disk Archiver) is vulnerable to a buffer overflow in multiple binaries that are only accessible by local users who are members of the "operator" group. By passing an overly long string to one of the affected binaries, a local attacker with "operator" group privileges could overflow a buffer and possibly gain elevated privileges on the system.
Note: The affected local binaries are: amcheck, amgetidx, amtrmidx, createindex-dump, and createindex-gnutar.
Upgrade to the latest version of AMANDA (2.4.2p2 or later), available from the AMANDA Web site. See References.
- AMANDA Web site: AMANDA, The Advanced Maryland Automatic Network Disk Archiver.
- BugTraq Mailing List, Mon May 27 2002 - 04:49:55 CDT: AMANDA security issues.
- BID-4836: AMANDA amindexd Remote Buffer Overflow Vulnerability
- BID-4840: AMANDA amcheck Local Buffer Overflow Vulnerability
- CVE-2002-0901: Multiple buffer overflows in Advanced Maryland Automatic Network Disk Archiver (AMANDA) 22.214.171.124 allow (1) remote attackers to execute arbitrary code via long commands to the amindexd daemon, or certain local users to execute arbitrary code via long command line arguments to the programs (2) amcheck, (3) amgetidx, (4) amtrmidx, (5) createindex-dump, or (6) createindex-gnutar.
- University of Maryland at College Park AMANDA Backup Package 126.96.36.199
May 27, 2002
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall the author/distributor (IBM Internet Security Systems X-Force) be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.
For corrections or additions please email ignore thisxforceignore this@ignore thisus.ignore thisibm.comignore this