Caldera OpenServer scoadmin symlink
|openserver-scoadmin-symlink (9210)||Medium Risk|
Caldera OpenServer could allow a local attacker to overwrite arbitrary files on the system, caused by the insecure creation of temporary files by the scoadmin utility. A local attacker could create symbolic link from a file in /tmp to any file on the system, which would be overwritten when the scoadmin command is executed.
Apply the appropriate fixed binaries for your system, as listed in Caldera International, Inc. Security Advisory CSSA-2002-SCO.22. See References.
- Caldera International, Inc. Security Advisory CSSA-2002-SCO.22: OpenServer 5.0.5 OpenServer 5.0.6 : scoadmin command creates temporary files insecurely.
- Strategic Reconnaissance Team Security Advisory(SRT2001-10): [SRT2001-10] - scoadmin /tmp issues.
- BID-4875: Caldera OpenServer SCOAdmin Symbolic Link Vulnerability
- CVE-2002-0887: scoadmin for Caldera/SCO OpenServer 5.0.5 and 5.0.6 allows local users to overwrite arbitrary files via a symlink attack on temporary files, as demonstrated using log files.
- OSVDB ID: 5060: SCO OpenServer scoadmin Symlink Overwrite Arbitrary File
- SCO Caldera OpenServer 5.0.5
- SCO Caldera OpenServer 5.0.6
May 28, 2002
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall the author/distributor (IBM Internet Security Systems X-Force) be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.
For corrections or additions please email ignore thisxforceignore this@ignore thisus.ignore thisibm.comignore this