OpenBSD sshd authentication error on systems using YP with netgroups could allow unauthorized access
|bsd-sshd-authentication-error (9215)||Medium Risk|
OpenBSD and possibly other BSD implementations using OpenSSH could allow a remote attacker to authenticate using another user's password. On systems using YP with netgroups in the password database, sshd could use the password for a different user after performing an ACL check for the requested username. This could allow a denied user to authenticate using another user's password, which could result in legitimate user's being denied access to the system.
For OpenBSD 3.1:
Apply the patch for this vulnerability, as listed in as listed in OpenBSD SECURITY FIX - 004, May 22 2002. See References.
— OR —
Upgrade to the latest version of OpenSSH (3.2.3 or later), available from the OpenSSH Web site. See References.
- BugTraq Mailing List, Mon May 27 2002 - 13:19:29 CDT: OpenSSH 3.2.3 released (fwd).
- OpenBSD 3.1 errata: 004: SECURITY FIX: May 22, 2002.
- OpenSSH Web site: OpenSSH.
- BID-4803: OpenBSD sshd BSD Authentication Implementation Error Vulnerability
- CVE-2002-0765: sshd in OpenSSH 3.2.2, when using YP with netgroups and under certain conditions, may allow users to successfully authenticate and log in with another user's password.
- OSVDB ID: 5113: OpenSSH YP Netgroups Authentication Bypass
- OpenBSD OpenBSD 3.1
- OpenBSD OpenSSH 3.2.2
May 22, 2002
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall the author/distributor (IBM Internet Security Systems X-Force) be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.
For corrections or additions please email ignore thisxforceignore this@ignore thisus.ignore thisibm.comignore this