mnews multiple local command-line and environment variable buffer overflows
|mnews-multiple-local-bo (9227)||High Risk|
mnews is vulnerable to multiple local buffer overflows. By supplying an overly long string to the -f, -D, -M, -P, or -n command-line argument or setting the MAILSERVER or JNAMES environment variable to an overly large value, a local attacker could overflow a buffer and execute arbitrary code on the system with elevated privileges.
No remedy available as of April 1, 2014.
- Strategic Reconnaissance Team Security Advisory (SRT2002-04-31-1159): Mnews local and remote overflow vulnerabilities.
- Vuln-Dev Mailing list, 2002-05-31 23:37:42: Mnews 1.22 PoC exploit.
- BID-4899: MNews Multiple Buffer Overflow Vulnerabilities
- BID-4900: MNews Server Response Buffer Overflow Vulnerability
- CVE-2002-0909: Multiple buffer overflows in mnews 1.22 and earlier allow (1) a remote NNTP server to execute arbitrary code via long responses, or local users can gain privileges via long command line arguments (2) -f, (3) -n, (4) -D, (5) -M, or (6) -P, or via long environment variables (7) JNAMES or (8) MAILSERVER.
- Matsushita Research mnews 1.22
May 31, 2002
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall the author/distributor (IBM Internet Security Systems X-Force) be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.
For corrections or additions please email ignore thisxforceignore this@ignore thisus.ignore thisibm.comignore this