Courier MTA long year denial of service
|courier-mta-year-dos (9228)||Medium Risk|
Courier is vulnerable to a denial of service attack, caused by a mail message containing an unusually large year. A remote attacker could send a mail message containing an unusually large year to cause the recipient's mail client to enter into a loop that would result in 100% CPU usage.
Denial of Service
Upgrade to the latest version of Courier (0.38.2 or later), as listed in the SourceForge.net Web site. See References.
- BugTraq Mailing List, Sat Jun 01 2002 - 07:14:15 CDT: SECURITY.NNOV: Courier CPU exhaustion + bonus on imap-uw.
- Courier Web site: Courier Mail Server.
- SECURITY.NNOV Advisory - May, 31 2002: Courier CPU exhaustion.
- SourceForge.net: SourceForge.net: File Release Notes and Changelog.
- BID-4908: Courier MTA Long Year Remote Resource Consumption Vulnerability
- CVE-2002-0914: Double Precision Courier e-mail MTA allows remote attackers to cause a denial of service (CPU consumption) via a message with an extremely large or negative value for the year, which causes a tight loop.
- OSVDB ID: 5052: Double Precision Courier MTA Invalid Year DoS
- Double Precision Courier 0.38.1
May 31, 2002
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall the author/distributor (IBM Internet Security Systems X-Force) be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.
For corrections or additions please email ignore thisxforceignore this@ignore thisus.ignore thisibm.comignore this