CGIScript.net csNews Advanced Settings and administrative access
|cgiscript-csnews-admin-access (9333)||High Risk|
csNews fails to properly handle double URL encoded characters. A remote attacker could exploit this vulnerability by sending a specially-crafted URL request containing double URL encoded characters to access the "Advanced Settings" page, which is normally only accessible by administrators.
Once the attacker gains access to the "Advanced Settings" page, modified values could be set using the header and footer form fields, which could allow the attacker to view arbitrary system files or execute arbitrary system commands.
No remedy available as of June 1, 2013.
- BugTraq Mailing List, Tue Jun 11 2002 - 16:00:51 CDT: CGIscript.net - csNews.cgi - Multiple Vulnerabilities.
- BID-4991: CGIScript.net CSNews Sensitive File Disclosure Vulnerability
- BID-4993: CGIScript.net csNews Double URL Encoding Unauthorized Administrative Access Vulnerability
- BID-4994: CGIScript.net csNews Header File Type Restriction Bypass Vulnerability
- CVE-2002-0922: CGIScript.net csNews.cgi allows remote attackers to obtain database files via a direct URL-encoded request to (1) default%2edb or (2) default%2edb.style, or remote authenticated users to perform administrative actions via (3) a database parameter set to default%2edb.
- CVE-2002-0923: CGIScript.net csNews.cgi allows remote authenticated users to read arbitrary files, and possibly gain privileges, via the (1) pheader or (2) pfooter parameters in the Advanced Settings capability.
- OSVDB ID: 8134: CGIScript.net csNews.cgi Advanced Settings Multiple Parameter Arbitrary File Retrieval
- CGIScript csNews
- CGIScript csNewsPro
Jun 11, 2002
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall the author/distributor (IBM Internet Security Systems X-Force) be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.
For corrections or additions please email ignore thisxforceignore this@ignore thisus.ignore thisibm.comignore this