ppptalk allows local attacker to gain elevated privileges
|ppptalk-local-elevated-privileges (9380)||High Risk|
The ppptalk utility in Caldera UnixWare and Open UNIX could allow a local attacker to gain elevated privileges. By default, ppptalk is installed with root privileges.
Upgrade to the latest ppptalk packages, as listed in Caldera International, Inc. Security Advisory CSSA-2002-SCO.27. See References.
- Caldera International, Inc. Security Advisory CSSA-2002-SCO.27: UnixWare 7.1.1 Open UNIX 8.0.0 : ppptalk root privilege vulnerability.
- BID-5051: UnixWare / Open UNIX ppptalk Local Privilege Escalation Vulnerability
- CVE-2002-0827: Vulnerability in pppd on UnixWare 7.1.1 and Open UNIX 8.0.0 allows local users to gain root privileges via (1) ppptalk or (2) ppp, a different vulnerability than CVE-2002-0824.
- SCO Caldera OpenUnix 8.0.0
- SCO Caldera UnixWare 7.1.1
Jun 18, 2002
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall the author/distributor (IBM Internet Security Systems X-Force) be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.
For corrections or additions please email ignore thisxforceignore this@ignore thisus.ignore thisibm.comignore this