Pirch 98 IRC client malformed link buffer overflow
|pirch-irc-link-bo (9409)||Low Risk|
Pirch 98 is vulnerable to a denial of service attack caused by a buffer overflow in the handling of malformed URLs. By sending a malformed URL to a Pirch 98 IRC client, a remote attacker could overflow a buffer and cause the IRC client to crash once the link is clicked. Note: It is unknown whether this buffer overflow could be used to execute arbitrary code.
Denial of Service
Upgrade to the latest version of the Pirch IRC client (Turbopirch), available from the Pirch Web site. See References.
- BugTraq Mailing List, Fri Jun 21 2002 - 03:48:48 CDT: Pirch 98 Link Handling Buffer Overflow.
- Pirch Web site: Pirch Information for chat rooms and using the Pirch Chat Software.
- BID-5079: Pirch IRC Client Malformed Link Buffer Overrun Vulnerability
- CVE-2002-0928: Buffer overflow in the Pirch 98 IRC client allows remote attackers to cause a denial of service and possibly execute arbitrary code via a long hyperlink in a channel or private message.
- OSVDB ID: 11815: Pirch 98 IRC Client Hyperlink Overflow
- Pirch Pirch IRC 98
Jun 21, 2002
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall the author/distributor (IBM Internet Security Systems X-Force) be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.
For corrections or additions please email ignore thisxforceignore this@ignore thisus.ignore thisibm.comignore this