HP CIFS/9000 /opt/cifsclient/bin/cifslogin buffer overflow
|hp-cifs-login-bo (9431)||High Risk|
HP9000 servers running CIFS/9000 Server (Samba) are vulnerable to buffer overflows in several command line options using the opt/cifsclient/bin/cifslogin utility. By passing an overly long argument to the -U, -D, -P, -S, -N, or -u command line option, a local attacker could overflow a buffer and execute arbitrary code on the system.
Upgrade to the latest version of CIFS/9000 A.01.06, and then apply the PHNE_24164 patch, available from the Hewlett-Packard Support Web site. See References.
Upgrade to CIFS/9000 version A.01.07 when it becomes available.
- BugTraq Mailing List, Mon Jun 24 2002 - 07:19:52 CDT: Sharity Cifslogin Buffer Overflow (arguments).
- Hewlett-Packard Company Security Bulletin HPSBUX0207-200: Sec. Vulnerability in CIFS/9000. (From Neohapsis archive.)
- BID-5088: HP CIFSLogin Buffer Overflow Vulnerability
- CVE-2002-0991: Buffer overflows in the cifslogin command for HP CIFS/9000 Client A.01.06 and earlier, based on the Sharity package, allows local users to gain root privileges via long (1) -U, (2) -D, (3) -P, (4) -S, (5) -N, or (6) -u parameters.
- OSVDB ID: 11362: HP CIFS/9000 cifslogin Multiple Parameter Overflow
- HP CIFS-9000 Server A.01.05
- HP CIFS-9000 Server A.01.06
- HP HP-UX 11.00
- HP HP-UX 11.11
Jun 24, 2002
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall the author/distributor (IBM Internet Security Systems X-Force) be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.
For corrections or additions please email ignore thisxforceignore this@ignore thisus.ignore thisibm.comignore this