Novell iManager long user name buffer overflow
|novell-imanager-username-bo (9444)||Low Risk|
Novell eMFrame is vulnerable to a denial of service attack when authenticating using Novell iManager. A remote attacker could attempt to log onto the system with iManager using a Distinguished Name (DN) username of more than 256 characters to overflow a buffer and cause eMFrame to crash.
Denial of Service
For Novell eMFrame 1.2.1:
Apply the patch for this vulnerability, as listed in Novell Technical Information Document 2963081. See References.
For Novell eMFrame versions prior to 1.5:
Apply the patch for this vulnerability, as listed in Novell Technical Information Document 2963651. See References.
Users may also upgrade to the latest version of eMFrame (1.5 or later), which is not affected by this vulnerability. See References.
- BugTraq Mailing List, Mon Nov 11 2002 - 11:50:24 CST : NOVL-2002-2963651 - iManager (eMFrame) Buffer Overflow .
- BugTraq Mailing List, Thu Jun 27 2002 - 05:38:57 CDT: Cluestick Advisory #001.
- Novell Security Alert NOVL-2002-2963081: Novell iManager (eMFrame 1.2.1) DoS Attack . (From Neohapsis archive.)
- Novell Technical Information Document 2963081: eMFrame 1.2.1 DoS attack fix.
- Novell Technical Information Document 2963651: iManager (eMFrame) Buffer Overflow.
- BID-5117: Novell Netware eMFrame iManage Denial of Service Vulnerability
- CVE-2002-1002: Buffer overflow in Novell iManager (eMFrame 1.2.1) allows remote attackers to cause a denial of service (crash) via a long user name.
- OSVDB ID: 5038: Novell iManager eMFrame Long User Name DoS
- Novell eMFrame 1.2.1
Jun 27, 2002
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall the author/distributor (IBM Internet Security Systems X-Force) be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.
For corrections or additions please email ignore thisxforceignore this@ignore thisus.ignore thisibm.comignore this