NEC SOCKS4 and SOCKS5 username buffer overflow
|socks-username-bo (9485)||High Risk|
SOCKS is vulnerable to a buffer overflow caused by improper bounds checking of usernames. By sending an overly long username, a remote attacker could overflow a buffer and execute arbitrary code on the system or cause the system to crash.
Note: Virtual Services Gateway and Application Security Gateway by Permeo are not affected by this vulnerability.
No remedy available as of May 1, 2013.
- BugTraq Mailing List, Wed Jul 03 2002 - 06:40:07 CDT: NEC's socks5 (Re: Foundstone Advisory - Buffer Overflow in AnalogX Proxy (fwd)).
- BID-5145: NEC Socks5 User Name Buffer Overflow Vulnerability
- BID-5147: NEC Socks4 User Name Buffer Overflow Vulnerability
- CVE-2002-2368: Multiple buffer overflows in NEC SOCKS5 1.0 r11 and earlier allow remote attackers to cause a denial of service and possibly execute arbitrary code via a long username to (1) the GetString function in proxy.c for the SOCKS5 module or (2) the HandleS4Connection function in proxy.c for the SOCKS4 module.
- OSVDB ID: 55661: NEC SOCKS5 Module proxy.c GetString Function Remote Overflow
- OSVDB ID: 55662: NEC SOCKS4 Module proxy.c HandleS4Connection Function Remote Overflow
- Permeo Technologies SOCKS 5-v1.0 r11 and prior
- Permeo Technologies SOCKS4 4.3 .beta2 and prior
Jul 03, 2002
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall the author/distributor (IBM Internet Security Systems X-Force) be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.
For corrections or additions please email ignore thisxforceignore this@ignore thisus.ignore thisibm.comignore this