RealOne Player Gold and RealJukebox2 RJS skin file "CONTROLnImage" buffer overflow
|realplayer-rjs-controlnimage-bo (9538)||High Risk|
RealNetwork RealOne Player Gold is vulnerable to a buffer overflow in the processing of RJS skin files. By specifying an overly long file name in the "CONTROLnImage" field of the skin.ini file and then compressing this file to create an RJS file, a remote attacker could overflow a buffer and execute arbitrary code on the victim's system once the RJS file is opened. An attacker could exploit this vulnerability by creating a malicious Web page or sending a victim a malicious HTML email that could either cause the RJS file to be opened automatically or provide a URL link that would cause the malicious RJS file to be opened when clicked.
Apply the appropriate patch for your system, available from the RealNetworks Web site. See References.
- RealNetworks Web site: RealNetworks Support: Buffer Overrun Exploit.
- SPS Advisory #48: RealONE Player Gold / RealJukebox2 Buffer Overflow.
- BID-5217: Real Networks RealJukebox/RealOne Player Gold Skinfile Buffer Overflow
- CVE-2002-1014: Buffer overflow in RealJukebox 2 188.8.131.520 and 184.108.40.2069, and RealOne Player Gold 220.127.116.115, allows remote attackers to execute arbitrary code via an RFS skin file whose skin.ini contains a long value in a CONTROLnImage argument, such as CONTROL1Image.
- OSVDB ID: 5036: RealJukebox/RealOne RFS skin.ini CONTROL1Image Overflow
- US-CERT VU#843667: Real Networks RealJukebox2 vulnerable to arbitrary code execution via crafted skin file
- Real RealJukebox 2 18.104.22.1680
- Real RealJukebox 2 22.214.171.1249
- Real RealJukebox 2 Plus 126.96.36.1990
- Real RealJukebox 2 Plus 188.8.131.529
- Real RealONE Player 1_build_184.108.40.2065 Gold
Jul 12, 2002
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall the author/distributor (IBM Internet Security Systems X-Force) be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.
For corrections or additions please email ignore thisxforceignore this@ignore thisus.ignore thisibm.comignore this