WWWOFFLE negative "Content-Length" value buffer overflow
|wwwoffle-neg-length-bo (9619)||Low Risk|
WWWOFFLE (World Wide Web Offline Explorer) is vulnerable to a buffer overflow in the handling of negative "Content-Length" values. By sending an HTTP request with a negative value in the "Content-Length" header field, a remote attacker could overflow a buffer causing a segfault in the child process. It may be possible for an attacker to exploit this vulnerability to execute arbitrary code on the system.
Denial of Service
Upgrade to the latest version of WWWOFFLE (2.7c or later), available from the WWWOFFLE Web page. See References.
For SuSE Linux:
Upgrade to the latest WWWOFFLE package, as listed in SuSE Security Announcement SuSE-SA:2002:029. See References.
For Caldera OpenLinux Workstation 3.1 and 3.1.1:
Upgrade to the latest wwwoffle package (2.6b-3MR or later), as listed in SCO Security Advisory CSSA-2002-048.0. See References.
For Debian GNU/Linux:
Upgrade to the latest wwwoffle package as listed below. Refer to DSA-144-1 for more information. See References.
Debian GNU/Linux 2.2 (potato): 2.5c-10.4 or later
Debian GNU/Linux 3.0 (woody): 2.7a-1.2 or later
For other distributions:
Contact your vendor for upgrade or patch information.
- QITEST1 SECURITY ADVISORY #005: wwwoffle-2.7b and prior segfaults with negative Content-Length value.
- SCO Security Advisory CSSA-2002-048.0: Linux: wwwoffled remote access vulnerability.
- WWWOFFLE Web site: World Wide Web Offline Explorer.
- BID-5260: Andrew Bishop WWWOFFLE Negative Content-Length Buffer Overflow Vulnerability
- CVE-2002-0818: wwwoffled in World Wide Web Offline Explorer (WWWOFFLE) allows remote attackers to cause a denial of service and possibly execute arbitrary code via a negative Content-Length value.
- DSA-144: wwwoffle -- improper input handling
- OSVDB ID: 5077: wwwoffled Negative Content-Length Overflow
- Andrew M. Bishop WWWOFFLE 2.7b and prior
- Debian Debian Linux 2.2
- Debian Debian Linux 3.0
- SCO Caldera OpenLinux Workstation 3.1
- SCO Caldera OpenLinux Workstation 3.1.1
- SUSE SuSE Linux 7.1
- SUSE SuSE Linux 7.2
- SUSE SuSE Linux 7.3
- SUSE SuSE Linux 8.0
Jul 18, 2002
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall the author/distributor (IBM Internet Security Systems X-Force) be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.
For corrections or additions please email ignore thisxforceignore this@ignore thisus.ignore thisibm.comignore this