Gallery GALLERY_BASEDIR could be used to execute remote commands
|gallery-basedir-execute-commands (9737)||High Risk|
Gallery could allow a remote attacker to execute commands on affected Web servers with elevated privileges. A remote attacker could use the GALLERY_BASEDIR environment variable to install a backdoor on affected Web servers. This could allow the attacker to gain remote shell access to the Web server.
Upgrade to the latest version of Gallery (1.3.1 or later), available from the Gallery Web site. See References.
For Debian GNU/Linux 3.0 (alias woody):
Upgrade to the latest Gallery package (1.2.5-7 or later), as listed in DSA-138-1. See References.
For other distributions:
Contact your vendor for upgrade or patch information.
- BugTraq Mailing List, Thu Aug 01 2002 - 11:28:27 CDT: Code injection in gallery.
- Gallery Web site: Security vulnerability in Gallery 1.3.
- BID-5375: Bharat Mediratta Gallery Remote File Include Vulnerability
- CVE-2002-1412: Gallery photo album package before 1.3.1 allows local and possibly remote attackers to execute arbitrary code via a modified GALLERY_BASEDIR variable that points to a directory or URL that contains a Trojan horse init.php script.
- DSA-138: gallery -- remote exploit
- OSVDB ID: 10359: Gallery captionator.php GALLERY_BASEDIR Parameter Remote File Inclusion
- Debian Debian Linux 3.0
- Gallery Gallery 1.1 - 1.3
Jul 31, 2002
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall the author/distributor (IBM Internet Security Systems X-Force) be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.
For corrections or additions please email ignore thisxforceignore this@ignore thisus.ignore thisibm.comignore this