Adobe Macromedia Flash Player bypass same-domain restrictions could disclose sensitive information
|flash-same-domain-disclosure (9797)||Medium Risk|
Macromedia Flash Player could allow a remote attacker to obtain sensitive information. A remote attacker could create a malicious Web site containing a Flash object in a Web archive or a URL that would bypass the same-domain security restrictions, once the object or link is clicked. An attacker could then use this vulnerability to read any file on the system, if the attacker knows or can guess the name and the location of the file.
Upgrade to the latest version of Macromedia Flash Player for Internet Explorer (126.96.36.199 or later), available from the Macromedia Web Player Download Center. See References.
For Red Hat Linux:
Upgrade to the latest netscape package, as listed below. Refer to RHSA-2003:026-09 for more information. See References.
Red Hat 7.1, 7.2, and 7.3: 4.8-1 or later
For Red Hat Linux containing the netscape package:
Upgrade to the latest netscape package, as listed below. Refer to RHSA-2003:027-09 for more information. See References.
Red Hat Enterprise Linux AS (v. 2.1), ES (v.2.1), WS (v.2.1): 4.8-1 or later
For other distributions:
Contact your vendor for upgrade or patch information.
- BugTraq Mailing List, Wed Aug 07 2002 - 22:43:02 CDT : Macromedia Flash plugin can read local files .
- Macromedia Product Security Bulletin MPSB02-10: Macromedia Flash URL Modification Issue.
- Macromedia Web site: Macromedia Web Player Download Center.
- BID-5429: Macromedia Flash Player Arbitrary Local File Access Vulnerability
- BID-543: Linux IPChains Fragment Overlap Vulnerability
- CVE-2002-1467: Macromedia Flash Plugin before 6,0,47,0 allows remote attackers to bypass the same-domain restriction and read arbitrary files via (1) an HTTP redirect, (2) a file:// base in a web document, or (3) a relative URL from a web archive (mht file).
- RHSA-2003-026: Updated Netscape packages are now available
- RHSA-2003-027: netscape security update
- Macromedia Flash Player 6.0
- Macromedia Flash Player 188.8.131.52
- Macromedia Flash Player 184.108.40.206
- Macromedia Shockwave 8.0
- RedHat Enterprise Linux 2.1 WS
- RedHat Enterprise Linux 2.1 AS
- RedHat Enterprise Linux 2.1 ES
- RedHat Linux 7.1
- RedHat Linux 7.2
- RedHat Linux 7.3
Aug 07, 2002
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall the author/distributor (IBM Internet Security Systems X-Force) be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.
For corrections or additions please email ignore thisxforceignore this@ignore thisus.ignore thisibm.comignore this