SGI FAM daemon fails to properly enforce permissions
|sgi-fam-insecure-permissions (9880)||Medium Risk|
File Alteration Monitor (FAM) fails to properly enforce permissions. A local attacker with the ability to obtain the file names of FAM files that should only be readable by root could use this vulnerability to possibly gain read and write permissions on these files.
For Debian GNU/Linux 3.0 (woody):
Upgrade to the latest version of FAM (184.108.40.206-5.2 or later), as listed in DSA-154-1. See References.
For FreeBSD Ports Collection:
Upgrade to the latest ports collection, as listed in FreeBSD Security Notice FreeBSD-SN-02:05. See References.
For other distributions:
Contact your vendor for upgrade or patch information.
- Debian Bug Report Logs - #148853: fam doesn't work.
- FreeBSD Security Notice FreeBSD-SN-02:05 : security issues in ports.
- SGI Bugzilla Bug 151: flaw in primary group handling - unable to FAM files in some directories.
- BID-5487: SGI FAM Arbitrary Root Owned Directory File Listing Vulnerability
- CVE-2002-0875: Vulnerability in FAM 2.6.8, 2.6.6, and other versions allows unprivileged users to obtain the names of files whose access is restricted to the root group.
- DSA-154: fam -- privilege escalation
- RHSA-2005-005: fam security update
- Debian Debian Linux 3.0
- FreeBSD FreeBSD Ports Collection
- RedHat Enterprise Linux 2.1 AS
- RedHat Enterprise Linux 2.1 ES
- RedHat Enterprise Linux 2.1 WS
- RedHat Linux Advanced Workstation 2.1 Itanium
Aug 15, 2002
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall the author/distributor (IBM Internet Security Systems X-Force) be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.
For corrections or additions please email ignore thisxforceignore this@ignore thisus.ignore thisibm.comignore this