Microsoft Internet Explorer Google Toolbar search request denial of service
|ie-google-toolbar-dos (9883)||Medium Risk|
Internet Explorer with Google Toolbar installed are vulnerable to a denial of service attack. Google Toolbar fails to properly handle invalid search requests. A remote attacker can cause a victim?s Web browser to crash by creating a malicious Web page that would send a specially-crafted search request to the Google Toolbar in a victim's Web browser to cause an exception in "oleaut32.dll", once the malicious Web page is viewed.
Denial of Service
No remedy available as of February 1, 2014.
- BugTraq Mailing List, Thu Aug 15 2002 - 03:08:21 CDT: IE [with Google Toolbar installed] crash.
- Google Toolbar Web site: Google Toolbar.
- BID-5477: Google Toolbar Search Function Denial Of Service Vulnerability
- CVE-2002-1444: The Google toolbar 1.1.60, when running on Internet Explorer 5.5 and 6.0, allows remote attackers to cause a denial of service (crash with an exception in oleaut32.dll) via malicious HTML, possibly related to small width and height parameters or an incorrect call to the Google.Search() function.
- OSVDB ID: 7898: Microsoft IE with Google Toolbar Malicious HTML DoS
- Google Toolbar 1.1.60
- Microsoft Internet Explorer 5.5
- Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.0
Aug 15, 2002
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall the author/distributor (IBM Internet Security Systems X-Force) be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.
For corrections or additions please email ignore thisxforceignore this@ignore thisus.ignore thisibm.comignore this