nCipher PKCS#11 library C_Verify performs improper validation of symmetric signatures
|ncipher-cverify-improper-verification (9895)||Medium Risk|
The nCipher PKCS#11 library improperly validates symmetric signatures, which is caused by a vulnerability in the error-checking routine in the C_Verify call. This vulnerability causes invalid symmetric signatures to be always treated as valid, which could allow remote attackers to use invalid signatures on messages that are validated using the nCipher PKCS#11 library.
nCipher customers should contact nCipher support for upgrade or patch information. See References.
- BugTraq Mailing List, Mon Aug 19 2002 - 11:20:29 CDT: nCipher Advisory #5: C_Verify validates incorrect symmetric signatures.
- nCipher Security Advisory No. 5: C_Verify validates incorrect symmetric signatures.
- BID-5498: nCipher PKCS#11 Symmetric Message Signature Verification Vulnerability
- CVE-2002-1446: The error checking routine used for the C_Verify call on a symmetric verification key in the nCipher PKCS#11 library 1.2.0 and later returns the CKR_OK status even when it detects an invalid signature, which could allow remote attackers to modify or forge messages.
- OSVDB ID: 14876: nCipher PKCS#11 Library C_Verify Call Error Routine Failure
- nCipher nCipher PKCS#11 library 1.2.0
Aug 19, 2002
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall the author/distributor (IBM Internet Security Systems X-Force) be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.
For corrections or additions please email ignore thisxforceignore this@ignore thisus.ignore thisibm.comignore this