Novell NetWare Perl handler -v could disclose sensitive information
|netware-perl-information-disclosure (9917)||Low Risk|
A vulnerability in Perl could allow a local attacker to obtain sensitive information. If a local attacker executes the -v Perl command using the system console, the attacker would cause the Perl version to be returned. An attacker could use this information to launch further attacks against the affected server.
Apply the patch for this vulnerability, as listed in Novell Technical Information Document 2963307. See References.
- BugTraq Mailing List, Tue Aug 20 2002 - 11:10:09 CDT: NOVL-2002-2963307 - PERL Handler Vulnerability.
- Novell Security Alert NOVL-2002-2963307: Perl Handler Vulnerability Patch.
- BID-5521: Novell NetWare Remote Perl Version Disclosure Vulnerability
- CVE-2002-1438: The web handler for Perl 5.003 on Novell NetWare 5.1 and NetWare 6 allows remote attackers to obtain Perl version information via the -v option.
- OSVDB ID: 10928: Novell NetWare Perl Web Handler -v Option Information Disclosure
- Larry Wall Perl 5.003
- Novell NetWare 5.1
- Novell NetWare 6.0
Aug 20, 2002
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall the author/distributor (IBM Internet Security Systems X-Force) be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.
For corrections or additions please email ignore thisxforceignore this@ignore thisus.ignore thisibm.comignore this