WebEasyMail SMTP server format string attack results in denial of service
|webeasymail-smtp-service-dos (9924)||Medium Risk|
WebEasyMail is vulnerable to a denial of service attack, caused by a format string vulnerability in the SMTP server. If a remote attacker sends a specially-crafted format string to a vulnerable server, the attacker can cause the server to crash.
Note: It is unknown whether this vulnerability could be exploited to execute code on the system.
Denial of Service
No remedy available as of July 1, 2014.
- BugTraq Mailing List, Mon Aug 19 2002 - 19:54:24 CDT : Advisory: DoS in WebEasyMail +more possible? .
- WebEasyMail Web site: WebEasyMail - Web Mail Server for NT/2000/XP.
- BID-5518: WebEasyMail SMTP Service Format String Vulnerability
- CVE-2002-1415: Format string vulnerability in SMTP service for WebEasyMail 220.127.116.11 and earlier allows remote attackers to cause a denial of service (crash) and possibly execute arbitrary code via format strings in SMTP requests.
- OSVDB ID: 14534: WebEasyMail SMTP Service Request Format String
- WinWebMail WebEasyMail 18.104.22.168
Aug 19, 2002
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall the author/distributor (IBM Internet Security Systems X-Force) be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.
For corrections or additions please email ignore thisxforceignore this@ignore thisus.ignore thisibm.comignore this